45 Bath Road
The application site lies to the south west of Emsworth Town Centre and falls within the Emsworth Conservation Area and the Chichester Harbour Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The site is located on the western side of Bath Road; overlooking ‘Town Mill Pond’.
Originally the building was a U-shaped stable block that has historically been converted to a single storey private dwelling with a later addition of a one and a half storey rear extension. The single storey elements are of white painted brick and facing brick elevational walls to the frontage under simple up and over pitch ‘Plain’ tiled roofs. The one and a half storey element set back within the site and virtually masked by the frontage single storey elements; comprises of facing brick walls under a barn-hipped ‘Plain’ tiled pitch roof. The remaining building footprint comprises of unattractive built-up felt flat roof ‘infill’ extensions considered to be of low architectural merit.
The design and summary of proposals included –
- Improvements in energy efficiency of the dwelling,
- General internal restoration, alterations and improvement works,
- Partial removal of existing kitchen external walls to create open veranda area,
- Removal of bedroom 5/en-suite wing to facilitate the construction of a new lounge/study/guest room extension,
- Enhance the outlook views over ‘Town Mill Pond’ from the new lounge, kitchen and dining room areas,
- Removal of existing porch entrance and replaced with new larger entrance to the property,
- Over-clad existing one and a half storey rear section of the house with horizontal timber cladding,
- Removal of existing flat roof to the southern side of the property and replace with a new flat roof structure incorporating a new roof lantern and roof light.
The design principles adopted result in an appropriate form of extension and alteration works that enhance the character and appearance of the property both internally and externally; and wider afield, in turn preserves the character of the Conservation Area.
- Planning Permission Granted.
- Bath Road, Emsworth. UK.
- Development in an urban area falling within the Emsworth Conservation Area and the Chichester Harbour Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).